History of SubicThe early inhabitants of Subic were the Negritos of Zambales (more popularly known as Aetas). At the end of the Pleistocene, seafarers from the Malay Peninsula of the Asian mainland sailed to the Southeast Asian islands, establishing pockets of population. The Malays were the first migrants to reach Zambales and drove the Negrito aborigines from the plains and valleys to the mountains. They found themselves at the western coastal plain of Luzon between Subic Bay and Lingayen Gulf.
The town of Subic was founded by the Augustinian Friar, Father Rodrigo de San Miguel in 1607. The Spanish government christianized the Negritos and made them subjects of Spain. However, there were resistance by the Negritos and they continued to defy the government. In 1884, King Alfonso II issued a Royal Decree officially declaring Subic Bay as a naval port and Subic became Spain's stronghold in the Far East.
After the Spanish-American war, which erupted in April 25, 1898, the U.S naval forces took over Subic and its Bay, whose deep harbor was regarded by Admiral George Dewey as having no equal in the Philippine Islands.